Friday, March 28, 2008

Declaration of Purpose

Looking back over the years I can count the number of blogs I have created on one hand. I can also count the number of posts in each of them on one hand. The only exception is a LiveJournal account that I have, surprisingly enough, maintained quite well for the last few months. However, my latest idea for a blog doesn't seem to fit the LJ environment very well so I went in search of something better. I was going to create a Word Press blog site of my own but decided that the amount of money and work involved in designing it to my liking was not to my liking. So... a new blogger.com user I became.

The idea that I had for a blog came out of a belief that many engineers, myself included, have had for many years; that Apple computers are no good for engineering. I admit that I was part of the crowd that dismissed the idea of buying a Mac without a second thought simply because I believed that they were only good for two things; photo and video editing. I must also admit that, while this belief may have been correct many years ago, it is NOT correct anymore. So the idea was to create a blog to discuss my use of the Mac to perform various engineering tasks (mainly software development) that are still based on a work environment of Windows and Linux.

I started to research the capabilities of the Mac and OSX Leopard a few months ago after finally giving up on Microsoft Vista. I bought a HP "Vista Ready" laptop just over a year ago when my Dell Windows XP SP2 machine developed multiple vertical lines on the screen. I am not sure if it was because Vista looked really cool or if I was just happy to have a new computer but I really liked Vista at first. It took a little getting used to but I started telling people how cool it was soon after buying it. But then I started installing programs on it and watched the performance of the machine crash. It started running so slow that I had to turn Aero (the fancy 3D-ish UI) off just so I could use the thing. And yes, I know how to maintain a computer so don't bother using the "your too stupid to own a computer" excuse to argue that Vista is so great.

What I found in my research convinced me to make the switch from Microsoft Windows XP & Vista over to OS X Leopard. I recently purchased a new Intel chip based MBP (MacBook Pro) and have been using it for about two weeks now. When I first decided to switch I promised myself that I would go into this with an open mind so I wouldn't get caught like I did with Vista. I must say that it has been getting harder and harder to keep an open mind since getting my MBP. It has been nothing but a joy to use and I have been able to do everything I could on Vista plus more.

So the general idea for the blog was to discuss various engineering topics and how I handle them using the Mac in order to show other engineers that the Mac platform is a good alternative to the nightmare that is Microsoft Vista. However, I have decided to expand the idea slightly to include various topics relating to my photography as well. I will categorize every post using labels so readers can easily filter out the stuff they don't really care to read.

Let the fun begin.

No comments: