Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Give Nerds a Mac and Stand By for Laughter

Today was the first official day of Photoshop World 2008 and it was a good day! The keynote speech was funny, interesting, boring, hilarious, and cool all in that order. To end the suspense about the title to this post, the NAPP boys made a movie for the keynote... a Star Trek themed movie. Hopefully it will be on You Tube soon but I do not see it on there yet. But let me tell you... give a group of nerds a Mac and you will get some really hilarious results!

The interesting part was a VP from Adobe showing off an early build of Creative Suite CS4. He didn't mention any kind of date or projection for when it will be out but based on previous released of CS versions I would guess it is still at least a year away. I have no basis other than opinion for that statement so take it with a grain of nothing. He also showed off the new web based version of Photoshop that has some features from photoshop and bridge but in an online format that is accessible via your web browser. It looks really sweet. If I didn't have the full extended version I would probably use it quite a bit.

The boring part was Adobe's announcement of the Lightroom 2 beta. It is open to anyone who currently has Lightroom 1. Now, the reason I said it was boring is only because I have no interest in Lightroom and it was the longest part of the keynote. I must say however that it does look like the added a LOT of stuff to the program and this is a huge update to it.

The hilarious parts were when the VP from Adobe and Scott Kelby presented various 'cracks' on each other. Apparently they have a long standing fued to mess with each other at these conferences. Everything from showing a morphed image of Kelby's face on a dogs body to a movie made up of various short clips making the VP sing a Boy George song. It was quite humorous.

The cool parts were the classes. Holy crap! There were only three time slots for classes today and my wife and I took separate classes to extend our coverage. We both are in awe at the shortcuts we learned today. Tasks that took us a long time to complete in the past now take a few minutes with the tricks these instructors showed up. Everything from adding lights to an image to removing the background from a subject without removing any strands of hair or details. Amazing stuff!! If you use any Adobe software and can get to Orlando tomorrow; I highly advise it!

I have been dying to bust out my camera and load up Photoshop to play with some of the stuff I learned today so I am outta here for now. I'll post more tomorrow. Got to make my friend in Rhode Island even more jealous. :)

1 comment:

Hali Sowle said...

Yes your friend in RI is very Jealous! It sounds like a heck of alot of fun and you're going to have to pass along some of that knowledge mister... Now I think I need to plan another trip and find a good course to return the favor and make you jealous.